Saturday, 15 August, 2020

Fitness Trackers

Home Forums Gear Discussion Fitness Trackers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  InsolentMinx 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JASON COLLINS
    Participant

Hello Mates,
    I am running some Spartan Races in 2017 trying to get my TriFecta and I want to take my Fitness tracker. Now as you all may know these a dirty muddy blighters and can cost you more than a couple dips in the bath SO… does any one here have an opinion or preference when it comes to watch based fitness trackers? I am highly thinking about either a Garmin Forerunner 230/235 or a Garmin Fenix 3. I like Garman but if you know of anything better please leave it in the return.

CHEERS!!!

Alan Viveash
    Participant

I have a FR220 which I use for training runs. I’m not brave enough (yet) to take it on an OCR, but I’m hoping to upgrade to a Fenix 3 HR at some point so the FR220 will become the OCR watch.

I’d advise wrapping a wrag around the wrist to prevent the screen from taking abuse whichever you choose, but for OCR, i’d go relatively simple incase a bad landing on rough ground ruins your day (read: watch)

Either way, check out DC Rainmaker. He has too many devices and does excellent detailed reviews.

Steve Ballantine
    Participant

I use the 920 XT (the one below the Fenix) It’s a great unit and I’ve never had any real trouble with it.
    I’ve been mocked for the size of it but I’m immune to that kind of thing.. ymmv I guess. The Fenix can certainly imitate a regular watch better.

I also use transparent screen protectors like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screen-Protector-Garmin-Forerunner-Protection/dp/B00Q8JF6OW
    After getting a few scratches too many, you can just peel it off, slap a new one on and it’s good as new.

JASON COLLINS
    Participant

@steve, thanks man that REALLY helps out. I am just waiting for the money to come in. I appreciate it. I will deff. be getting the protectors every little bit helps.

InsolentMinx
    Participant

I’ve had the Fenix3 for a year and a bit for triathlons and training, but am debating whether to use it on Tough Guy.
    It’s an expensive bit of kit and I don’t fancy breaking it, but it would be interesting to track my heart rate and the distance covered.

I have a plastic screen protector for it, which offers a little scratch-resistance for the glass, as I don’t have the sapphire model.
    But I like the idea of wrapping a rag/Buff around it for a bit extra protection though.

Suunto is another popular brand similar to Garmin for watches.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.