Friday, 7 August, 2020

How hard is the Tough Guy race?

Home Forums Event Discussion How hard is the Tough Guy race?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Robin Wood 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Alan Viveash
    Participant

I find it strange that you fear the Tough Guy shocks, yet you’ve done TM, which also features the shock obstacles.

Patrick Linker
    Participant

I find it strange that you fear the Tough Guy shocks, yet you’ve done TM, which also features the shock obstacles.

The Tough Mudder shocks were not such intense as I ran through; some other people reported hard shocks. But I have heard often things like “Nothing compares with the Torture Chamber obstacle in the Tough Guy race”. Therefore the shocks must be significantly worse than in a Tough Mudder.

Is there really a way to avoid electric shocks in a Tough Guy race? Is every electric shock in a Tough Guy race really bad?

Alan Viveash
    Participant

As stated, I dodged 100% of TG shocks 🙂 It’s really not a biggie.

Andy W
    Participant

Hi Patrick,

The best way I can think of putting this is as follows:

Not doing Tough Guy because of electric shocks is a bit like not driving your car because you might crash. Lets face it, if it happens it will probably hurt but the number of positives to be gained far outweigh the negatives associated with these risks.

Tough Guy is an amazing experience. Yes it’s hard but it’s something that we, as Obstacle Racers should thrive on. The atmosphere on site is incredible and is unlike anything else I have ever done.

Do your research and wear the right kit as we’ve all said in previous posts and you will be fine. Don’t let a little electric shock stop you from experiencing something as incredible as Tough Guy.

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure I got shocked this year but I was so numb from the cold I don’t think I even felt it!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Andy W.

Patrick Linker
    Participant

My final thought about the Tough Guy event is:

This is simply BULLS***!!!

Nothing can prepare to it in comparison to the Tough Mudder. The website of the Tough Guy is too small; I don’t know how to train for this event. On the Tough Mudder website there are training tips for each obstacle. In my opinion the obstacles are pretty dangerous and the electric shock obstacles have too much power.

Tough Mudder is far better than the Tough Guy! No new obstacles coming in the Tough Guy; all the same – boring! Tough Mudder modifies obstacles every year. When there will come a Tough Guy race where electric shocks are easy to avoid?

Is the Tough Guy race not too difficult?

rozza
    Participant

I’m doing my first Tough Guy next year, and I used google to read people reviews of it for things to train for and expect, sounds like you just want it all handed to you on a plate, why not have a read around

Part of the appeal is you don’t know whats coming, so its about getting through it regardless

Robin Wood
    Participant

It sounds to me that you are trying to find a reason not to enter the race. The race is what it is, trying to find way to avoid obstacles or to make it easier is not the point, the point is to get round it and enjoy yourself.

Also, from what I’ve read, you aren’t really supposed to be able to train for it as it is quite unique. You can train and get fit or use to the cold but the challenge is to come up against mad stuff on the day and to just get on with it.

InsolentMinx
    Participant

I’ve signed up for Tough Guy as I was a bit disappointed by Tough Mudder. The obstacles were fun, but I wouldn’t call it ‘tough’ at all. And despite trying to get shocked, I couldn’t find any wires that gave me even a tickle. It gave a great sense of camaraderie though, but it didn’t live up to the hype of being ‘the toughest event’.

TM is a very Americanised event, which is good and bad. They have an expensive website, lots of promotional stuff, give you training plans, and it’s very welcoming to people of all shapes and sizes. Anyone of reasonable fitness can take part, and if you walk the course you can still finish and get your headband.
    That’s good, and it encourages people to get out, exercise, and take part in the event… but it caters more for the spirit of letting everyone get a medal for turning up.

The fact that Tough Guy is set on the same cold day of the year, every year, and a large percentage drop out due to hypothermia, mean that it’s more of a mental challenge and you can’t expect to finish just by turning up. The obstacles are intimidating and repetitive to try and break you.
    They’re not in it for the money, otherwise it would be a global brand. The website is informative, but basic. I didn’t find myself needing any further info that wasn’t provided.

As Robin says, it sounds like you’re looking for excuses not to do it, and wanting to avoid the shocks. Which is fair enough, the shocks might be painful, but it’s just a small part of the challenge; and at the end of the day they aren’t going to be lethal. There’s still a certain element of health and safety that needs to be adhered to.
    Have you truly completed the course if you intentionally tried to avoid parts of it?

Train as you would train for a tough mudder, and that would surely give you the same set of skills that will be needed for TG. They’re both similar in needing you to be able to run about 10km and then have the strength to pull yourself over obstacles.

Just maybe try to get used to being cold for the whole race, rather than just a quick dip in Arctic Enema.

Michael Simpson
    Participant

Sounds like Patrick needs to man up….

InsolentMinx
    Participant

I’ve been doing research, and am petrified! Hahaha. It’s gonna be sooo cold.
    Seems they do add a new obstacle each year to Tough Guy too, so it’s a bit different each time.

Sounds like Patrick needs to man up….

Yup 🙂

JaelBreak
    Participant

I’ve managed to talk myself into doing this. I wasn’t gonna… but then they’re talking about it being the last one, and I feel a bit frantic at the thought of never doing it.

I had kind of a miserable time in October. But then I did the Winter Wolf Run, with an extra base layer, and actually felt fine (until I stopped). And I don’t think cycling to the start and crashing my bike helped in October, either! I’m hoping that with better layers and not being knackered and bruised before I start I might be okay…

Anyone got any tips? Any benefit to acclimatising with cold showers etc? Should I be knitting merino legwarmers?

Robin Wood
    Participant

Skip the knitting, just take the sheep round with you to keep warm

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.