Thursday, 24 September, 2020

Judgement Day – The Unknown (UK DR)

Home Forums Event Discussion Judgement Day – The Unknown (UK DR)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ollie 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Tom
    Participant

I know a lot of people pre-registered, myself included. Who on Mudstacle is considering giving it a go?

Registration opens tonight at 20:00.

Andrew Appleton
    Participant

Oh yes. Lucky I have £250 burning a hole in my pocket!

Phil

I’ve just registered…

Very excited to be entering this challenge. I don’t think I’ve ever really truly tested myself / my comfort zones in this manner and I’m really looking forward to seeing how far I get

Paul

Congratulations on entering The Unknown, 12-13 September 2015, Wales – your entry is confirmed.

Tom
    Participant

You’re all heroes. I can’t decide if I should do it or not.

@peterrees are you doing it Pete?

jason pittaway
    Participant

I would love 2 do this(doing all the other jd events) but £250 is pushing it think i will try primal its a lot cheaper.

Paul

I was only able to get it past the wife on the basis that I’ll never be dumb enough to do it again. Plus it’s my birthday present. It’s about £100 above the “I need to ask the wife but she’ll probably say yes” level. I do appreciate it’s a lot easier/cost effective to get a 10-15km course and throw a few thousand people through it at 30-50 gbp a head.

I ran into the guys last night (as you do) and pointed out I don’t mind washing out but they better put me through the wringer for at least 12 hours before cutting me so I feel like I’ve got my money’s worth.

It’s a bit of a punt but the last thing they put together was pretty awesome (I think Nuts, Judgement Day, Pain & Suffering Triple and January Tough Guy are all on the podium for race of the year currently for different reasons).

Now, has anyone seen my space hopper?

Ollie

I’m in on this one, slightly annoyed that I car-booted my space hopper towards the end of last year, oh well. Hoping they give us a little hint as to where it’s going to be more than 2 weeks before so I can sort accommodation for before and after the race as it’s a bit of a trek from me and I doubt I’ll be in a fit state to drive if I finish.

So, guys that are doing it, what sort of distance are you going to be training for? Marathon? 30 Miles? 50 Miles? At the moment I think the hardest thing to deal with is the total lack of info!

Stefan Georges
    Participant

Just entered, thinking this might be a really good idea or a really stupid one!

Tobias Palm
    Participant

I pre-registered but £250 is a bit too steep for me for now (on top of kit list + travel that would need to be booked so short in advance) 🙁 Will regrettably have to give this one a miss unless I manage to score a free entry.

Out of interest, a question for those who are willing to pay the full entry ticket. Have you ever given Primal Events a try? They’re cheaper (even after their recent price hike) and their main event is up to 48 hours, plus they have the experience of having put up such events previously.

I’m just trying to understand people’s motivations for paying so much. I have no doubt that JD will put on a great event, but people’s seeming ignorance of On Trial ‘Death Race origin’ is difficult to get my head around. If you’ve always wanted to do a Death Race, why not look into domestic options before JD came along?

@olliemud: I think you’ll be running a lot less than you think, so training for a marathon might be overzealous. Instead you’ll be doing backbreaking labor and carrying heavy stuff around for hours on end.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Tobias Palm.

Reuben Young
    Participant

Predrinks at mine?

Ollie

@tpalm I’m not sure, I reckon they could have us cover a fair old distance over the 36 hours. I’m doing a few marathons next year anyway so I can just keep up the miles for a few more months.

Tobias Palm
    Participant

@olliemud no doubt there will be massive distances to be covered, but just bear in mind that there’s a difference between hiking/shuffling a (half) marathon over a long stretch of time and actually running it for time as you would normally. I somehow ended up hiking 21km while sightseeing abroad last week but didn’t feel like I’d exhausted myself at all by the end of it – I know I would have been dead on my feet if I had been going faster than a snails pace though! 😉

If you’re already doing the marathons though, it’s all great training and I def wouldn’t dissuade anyone from coming back down from such lofty distances! 🙂

Ollie

For anyone who’s registered, I’ve started a Facebook group to discuss training, things we do / don’t know about the race and anything else related.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1390878357818083/1390878461151406/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.