Friday, 7 August, 2020

Nuclear Oblivion

Home Forums Event Discussion Nuclear Oblivion

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Viveash 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Lee Samwell
    Participant

I think if you train hard for it you will be fine, I like many others did rat race dirty weekender the week before, maybe in hind sight not the best idea.

Alex Ings
    Participant

Like Lee said, it was pretty tough. I went round with another bloke from our bootcamp and we did 7hr 51. It became obvious at the end of lap 2 that it was going to be exceedingly tough to meet the 7.5 hr deadline.

The first lap was fun – it was nice to not be going at flat out race pace and actually enjoy it. The second lap wasn’t too bad, although tougher as the course was already getting chewed up. Laps 3 & 4 were a slog. Our first lap (12km) was about 1hr 50, our last lap (6km apparently!) was about 1hr 30, so we’d slowed up massively. Lap 4 was so muddy in places, it almost looked a different course to the one we’d started on.

Nuclear have said it’s their hardest course yet – from the zip line onwards was pretty relentless from what I remember! I’d love to have another crack next year.

I take my hat off to anyone who ran it on their own, I should think that made it 10x harder. And as for the ninja who won it in 6hr 10 – absolutely amazing!

Rohan Seal
    Participant

I thought that the 7.5 hour cut off point was the time when we had to finish the race. So I bailed out early as my pace was dropping and didn’t want to injure myself. Had I known that it would take people 8 hours, I’d have continued regardless.

So I’m little annoyed that I missed out, as I would have pushed through.

Lee Samwell
    Participant

Sounds like next year could be retribution for Rohan!!

Yet another Dave
    Participant

So I’ve seen on their facebook that this is back for another year. Except that they have made it longer and a qaulifier for the UKOCR Championship. What were peoples’ experineces like of it last year? I’m very tempted, but the place holder price of £150 doesn’t seem to compete with my 4 laps at nuts for £45.

Alex Ings
    Participant

I wanted to do it again this year, but I’m not prepared to spend £150 on one race.

Frankly, I think Nuclear’s prices are ridiculous for next year – 12km Rush is £75 already.

Is it too much and being greedy? Time will tell. If they sell out, or are very near to selling out come race day, without having to do offers or codes, then no they haven’t been greedy. It’s like any other market – create a product that people are prepared to spend the money on and make the most of it.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend hundreds of pounds on an iPhone, but there are many many people who will. This is no different.

Lee Kingston
    Participant

I ran this last year and unfortunately didn’t make the cut off for the last half lap which at the time devastated me and tbh still does. I ran the first lap pretty well, slowed the second and slowed a lot for the third and thus missed the cut off. I came into the even village to find out I couldn’t do the last half lap. It turns out that I still completed 24.5 miles and to be stopped from hitting the full distance after being out there for so long is a very bitter pill to swallow.

I had every intention of having another crack at this until I saw the massive price hike from last year. OCR’s are expensive but it was around £90/95 last year so £150 for this year is not acceptable to me. It’s more the principal as they try and justify it by saying you’re getting 4 laps for just twice the price of one. I love Nuclear but that is a joke to me.

I’m due to be doing Nuts and attempting 4 laps so lets see if I have more success at that challenge. Well as long as I survive my first Tough Guy.

Hats off to anyone who can complete Oblivion though. Physically and mentally the toughest thing I’ve tried.

James Parrish
    Participant

Hi Lee – In a bid to expalain our position we have sold out for the past 4 races. We are very grateful for this and don’t want to upset anyone by our pricing structure but I do feel Races should be profiatable to allow reinvestment and survival amongst many other things. I personally feel the discount culture of races is a bit of a joke and am trying to “plough” my own furrow (pun intented) and just offer good quality races at a good value for money price. As you know we do not charge for parking, photo’s, bag drop, cups of tea, camping etc.

Now it is true last years’s Oblivion was a lot less money (with hind sight too cheap as we sold out) but the end results are the same – if an oblivion runner does 4 laps we have to sell 4 fewer 12km tickets. With the current price that would equate to £300 – so from my perspective a loss of income of £150.
    For your information we have sold 26% of the oblibion 2016 tickets so far so fingers crossed.

James Parrish
    Participant

Hi Lee – In a bid to expalain our position we have sold out for the past 4 races. We are very grateful for this and don’t want to upset anyone by our pricing structure but I do feel Races should be profiatable to allow reinvestment and survival amongst many other things. I personally feel the discount culture of races is a bit of a joke and am trying to “plough” my own furrow (pun intented) and just offer good quality races at a good value for money price. As you know we do not charge for parking, photo’s, bag drop, cups of tea, camping etc.

Now it is true last years’s Oblivion was a lot less money (with hind sight too cheap as we sold out) but the end results are the same – if an oblivion runner does 4 laps we have to sell 4 fewer 12km tickets. With the current price that would equate to £300 – so from my perspective a loss of income of £150.
    For your information we have sold 26% of the oblibion 2016 tickets so far so fingers crossed.

Alan Viveash
    Participant

One i’d like to try (as stated last year), it’s too expensive for my tastes. I’ve 4 laps of summer and winter nuts booked for £85 (early bird pricing x2). That’s just over a tenner a lap!

Plus JDs season pass is a great deal – £130 after Mudstacle discount for some seriously kick bottom events. Plus you can go mental and run both distances on a day.

I have always enjoyed my runs at Nuclear, but they’re not cheap anymore, even for single lap options.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.