Saturday, 26 September, 2020

Nuts Challenge March 2015

Home Forums Event Discussion Nuts Challenge March 2015

This topic contains 246 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  Tanya Haeffele 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 247 total)
  • Author

Allan Pilbro
    Participant

Hey Everyone,
    Has anybody set up a team for the Nuts Challenge in March 15 as I am going to sign up for this OCR and don’t want to run it alone and was wondering if anybody had a team and wouldn’t mind me jumping on with them?
    Cheers
    Pilly

Adrian Payne
    Participant

Get the yellow shirt on and you’ll be part of Team Mudstacle with the rest of us

Claire Newey

Yes I did & all welcome 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Claire Newey.

Stephanie Scott
    Participant

Where is it? 🙂

Pete Faulkner
    Participant

As Adrian said; you’re never alone if you turn up an event wearing mudstacle yellow with pride! Nuts is absolutely epic – get signed up!!!!!!!!!

Dominic Ballisat
    Participant

doing it for the 4th time in march 😀 its amazing!! chuck on your yellow shirt & see you there 🙂

paul wright
    Participant

I’m attempting it for the 1st time in march, will be in mudstacle yellow of course. cannot wait for it.

Andrew Layzell
    Participant

Signed up for 2 laps on the Sunday – will be my 2nd OCR and will be wearing my Mudstacle t-shirt!!! Need whole of winter to train and get fitter and stronger. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Allan Pilbro
    Participant

I will be putting on the yellow tshirt and i will join everyone,
    Is anyone going for the 4laps?

Claire – Whats the name of your team?

Stephanie – It is in surrey i believe and its only £45 for all of the races even the 4 laps until the first 500 have signed up.

Is anyone doing beast this weekend?

Alan Viveash
    Participant

4 laps here! The cold beat me last year and I only got 2 laps done. Better kit and prep this time around 🙂

Speaking of kit – does anyone have any specific recommendations for gloves for this? People say neoprene ones, but what thickness and do they grip?

Alan Viveash
    Participant

I used the 2.5mm TWF gloves that Pete suggested. They work well but I didn’t once make it over the rope swing due to the amount of mud. Grip isn’t a problem anywhere else on the course with the gloves.

Allan Pilbro
    Participant

Im hoping that i can make 4 but im not betting on it,
    How hard is it? What could you compare it to?

Alan Viveash
    Participant

Doing 4 laps is definitely a tough challenge in the summer. In winter it’s massively tougher. You have to run (rather than walk) the whole distance or cold will creep in and shut your body down, bearing in mind you’re on course for about 5 hours if you’re good. That and the ground is a quagmire from the previous days runners so it’s effort for the full distance.

The obstacles are relentless with only 2 clear running sections. You’ll wind up finding simple low hurdles a complete 100% effort slog to drag yourself over after a few laps. It looks easy as the obstacles aren’t epic Dirty Dozen or Tough Mudder style jobs, there’s just so many of them.

It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had a punt at!

But… It’s bloody awesome!

Pete
    Keymaster

I think running as a team is awesome in obstacle racing but there are two events that I think I would always avoid it at: 4 laps of Winter Nuts and Winter Tough Guy… at least if you want to finish.

I know that might seem like an odd statement, but it’s a survival thing. You’re likely to be pushed to the brink from a strength and endurance point of view and also from a body heat point of view. I find in those two races I have to go at my own pace, if I were to speed up or slow down for somebody else (for a long period), I’d either exhaust myself, seize up or get too cold.

Again – that only applies to the the very long, wet, cold and exhausting races.

HOWEVER – the beauty of the Nuts now is that there are so many friendly faces from Mudstacle and elsewhere running around the course that you can move at your own pace but hang out with different people for a few minutes at a time. I did that in the summer and it was great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 247 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.