Saturday, 15 August, 2020

Rope traverse thoughts

Home Forums General Discussion Rope traverse thoughts

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Waters 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Alan Viveash
    Participant

I’ve watched the recent Mudstacle video on rope traverse as I’ve always used the under hanging monkey walk technique.

This article here, suggests the underhanging approach is more efficient/easier, which directly contradicts the video!

So, what are your thoughts? I have never felt the monkey/underhang version is massively difficult – if you “walk” your feet you avoid the ankle damage. Also, as the limbs are hanging it’s just grip strength that’s required to hold a percentage of yourself up.

Plus the on top of the rope version really hurts my plums. Thin running shorts don’t help!

Gary Mckeaveney
    Participant

Hi Alan

It’s an interesting one, I’ve always used an underhang technique as well and also feel if done right it doesn’t take that much energy particularly with all the tips that are now available.
    Having said that I might give the on top version a go Dirty Dozen this weekend as according to Doug’s video from the course that’s gonna work best. Fingers crossed I don’t take out my plums lol

Gary

Alan Viveash
    Participant

Hey Gary, i’ll see you at DD then!

I did “the regain” at DD London South 2015 and did my first “on the top” traverse as suggested by a friend I was running with. It worked (sorta), but I found out about the plums thing. Here’s a terrible picture as evidence. Since then I’ve always swung underneath. It might be different on a slackline tape rather than a thick rope, so I might give it a whirl. Also the DD obstacle has solid boxes either end, rather than a metal frame like the training area at JD so getting back on top of the rope to dismount the obstacle is another factor.

Time will tell 🙂

Gary Mckeaveney
    Participant

Love the pic! Definitely looks painful, not sure if I wanna take my chances now lol

Think I probably will still give the on top version a go though and see how it is. I’ll be about most the day as I’m off in the first 12k wave and then staying to go out again on the 6k course 🙂 hopefully see you and some other mudstaclers about 🙂

Alan Viveash
    Participant

Gunning for the 12k and 6km too. Have the 18km in Essex to tick off the “medal of honour” requirement.

You’re bound to find me; I’ll be the guy with rope burn on his face.

Richard Waters
    Participant

I’d much prefer to swing underneath but as you point out getting back onto the solid box after that maybe a challenge. Hopefully the slack line will may it easier to go across….

I’m at DD tomorrow in the first wave also, running my first league event of the season and it my mudstacle top. Can’t wait! Hope to see you there. I’ll be the chap falling in the water allot!

Alan Viveash
    Participant

As long as you don’t forget to look “up” and whack your head on the end box, you should be able to grab the edge, then push yourself up via a heel hooked over the rope – kinda like a weaver on an angle.

Regardless, I’ll try on the top again and see how it goes, but on the 6km lap I might muck about a bit more and see what recovering from a hanging technique is like.

See you in the various pools of questionable water!

Phil

So how did you find it guys?

I’ve played with both techniques and I find the on-top more energy efficient and quicker. Plus you can pause and take a breather easily should you need to

Alan Viveash
    Participant

With a slackline it’s definitely easier to slide along the top – the smooth surface is simple to glide along. With a normal rope, I think i’ll swing below it and monkey crawl.

Richard Waters
    Participant

Agree the slackline was easy and quick across the top, what I went for. Also it was a short distance, especially with the cargo nets at the start and end, I think underneath would have used up allot more energy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.