Scotland Obstacle Racers

Looking for moral support!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Stu McDonald
    Participant

Hey folks, I’m an OCR virgin and doing Dirty Weekend as my first proper OCR event. Been looking high and low for websites/forums/facebook pages that will help me hook up with other folk that are looking for teammates, possibly share transport, etc. I’m training hard for the obstacles, but I hate the running side of it (did Deerstalker last week and took three hours cos I just couldn’t motivate myself to run for big chunks of the route), so it’s really critical to me that I have folk to run with, who can help motivate me to keep the pace up. Plus, travelling down from Edinburgh it’d be great to be able to car-share (either as driver, co-driver, or passenger) to spread costs and effort. Anybody got any advice for me? I’ve posted on facebook on the Dirty Weekend page, in the OCR Scotland page etc, but no joy!

Gallusness
    Participant

Hey Stu,

Properly joined on here after just checking it out for ages. You’ve chosen a belter of a first event in Dirty Weekend. It’s epic. You’ll always have someone to chat to on the course as it’s the definitely the biggest event of its kind and the OCR crowd are a friendly bunch. Awesome after party experience as well. It’s a proper festival in itself.

What advice you after? Done the last two Dirty Weekends and heading down to do this one but going to attempt the double…

Stu McDonald
    Participant

Cheers for the response! Yeah I’m just going by what my PT says, and he recommended Deerstalker as a first fitness test and introduction to running. Did OK there but didn’t like the emphasis on running and paucity of obstacles. Anyway, he recommended Dirty Weekend as my first proper OCR event, and the Full Mucker at that! I’m looking for wall-to-wall obstacles and mud, and hopefully some seriously intimidating-looking obstacles. Plus I’m a nonswimmer and not great with heights, so I’m anticipating feeling some proper terror, which should be a laugh.

Really I was just looking for advice on how to team up with folk in advance, but it seems there’s really not any teams looking for extra numbers. So I’m resigned to running alone and just making friends en route. Not at all the same experience as actually having a gang of people that you start with, run with and finish with, but I guess I’ll just have to do it alone first, get to know folk and maybe find potential team mates for future events!

Gallusness
    Participant

They’re really two completely different events. Deerstalker definitely doesn’t have so many obstacles and relies on the terrain (and being hell of a longer than the billed distance). Dirty Weekend is huge but in general terms the obstacles aren’t too cruel/testing (no electrics/ice baths etc.). The terrain as well compared to Deerstalker is pretty tame. It’s not flat, but there aren’t really any testing hills at all. I’ll no doubt regret saying that if I’m going for the double.

If you’re a non swimmer there is a zone in a reservoir which is pretty good. Plenty wading and then some swimming (life jacketed up). Don’t know your limits but that could well be testing. Just after that as well is the water jump. There were two heights you could go off last year and the highest one – it’s high. Cant remember the exact height but pretty much higher than any other OCR I’d done. Real buzz doing it.

First year I went down completely solo. Guy opposite me on the train phoned to ask about buses/taxi and mentioned the Stamford. When he came off the call I said to him we were headed the same place. Been pals since. Also just befriended those we camped next to as well. Think you’ll just end up chatting/clicking with folk in the campsite or on the course. Done things like Tough Mudder solo and as part of a team. SO much more fun being part of a team but everyone out on the course is on the same side. Dirty Weekend has a great happy festival vibe generally.

Stu McDonald
    Participant

Yeah, I think the plan with advising me to do Deerstalker was to show that, if I can do 15km without ever having done any running training, then 20+ miles, on easy terrain in daylight and in the warm, divided up into tiny chunks between obstacles, should be easy!

Is the double two laps of the Full Mucker? I might have to try that next year… That’ll take, what, either or nine hours?

No ice baths?! Booo. Although, till I have acquired more water confidence, maybe that’s for the best. I’m doing Tough Mudder at Drumlanrig in June, so one way or another I’ll be getting iced, shocked and tear-gassed.

As for DW, I’m deliberately avoiding researching the obstacles cos I want some nasty surprises. My ego makes me want to avoid wearing the flotation jacket, stupid though that might be. PT recommends I wear a shorty drysuit anyway and says it’ll help with energy levels generally, plus the wee buoyancy boost should be just the thing for the water obstacles. I intend to do the higher water jump… hoping that peer pressure, adrenaline and pride will get me through it! More scared of any total-submersion bits involving going under underwater obstacles, but then that’s part of the reason I’m doing this! I need to be confident enough to do Arctic Enema by the time TM comes round.

The afterparty does look pretty good. Not sure what kind of state I’ll be in to enjoy it though!

Gallusness
    Participant

In the warm… ha, we’ll see the first Dirty Weekend was four seasons in one day. Hail stones in May!? Yeah there are plenty obstacles and the only prolonged bit of running is heading back towards the finish around 16-18 miles. Though think there might be a new mud zone in there this year…

Yeah Dirty Double is two laps. Should be a long day but just going to keep it steady and hope there’s not a queue for the showers when done.

Cool you’re doing TM. You’ll definitely get more testing obstacles there. Ice bath aren’t that bad at all. 30 seconds after you’ve done it – fine.

Don’t think DW will surprise you too much. RatRace’s ethos is anyone (with a bit of training) should be able to for their events. There’s a massive amount of big and custom builds (and some permanent obstacles) but it’s more giant climbing frame type stuff. The World’s Biggest zone though… now that’s pretty special.

You’ll have to wear the life jacket if you’re going in the water. Thems the rules. Not sure I’d recommend a drysuit, maybe some slight compression gear but I’ll be there in running shorts and a technical tee. Gloves as well.

There was a point a few years back where over three weekends did a couple of TM’s and the Glasgow River Rat Race going off the tall ship. Almost got a bit used to the water jumps from height. The climb up to the DW one let you see the height at half way and that was the usual height of TM or the like. Up the top, good fun. Just not a fan of hanging around too long up there. Prefer to just get on with it.

Stu McDonald
    Participant

Heh, I just meant comparatively warm, after the cold, dark, windy, exposed hilltops for Deerstalker!

Sounds like there is indeed new mud to play into relieve the monotony around mile 18. Perfect. How long do you anticipate the Double will take you?!

As for TM… yeah I’m sure I’ll be fine after the ice bath, it’s the during that scares me! Currently I can’t control my breathing at all in ice-cold water, let alone submerge, remain coordinated and perform tasks. This’ll be fun…

I thought a drysuit sounded OTT, but my trainer says the mechanical advantage you gain from the springiness is a huge energy-saver when running and jumping. I’m training in just shorts and tech shirt, but some fingerless gloves will save my palms on the monkeybars. Not that I anticipate getting very far through the 130m of them. Shame they’re above dry ground though. I’d be way more motivated if they were above something wet and/or mucky to fall into…

Gallusness
    Participant

I kind of have no idea. I guess I’m taking the view that I just want to get round the second attempt intact. Will be completely different having had one effort (hopefully) in the can already and queues/bottlenecks will make it a totally different experience.

I want to watch Ash and I’d like to have had a shower before hand. That’s my target. Think second time round it’s going to be a case of the steadiest attempt at ‘pace’ ever.

At TM by looks of it once you’re at the ice bath your sliding down into it. Of all the obstacles that’s actually one I kind of look forward to as it just messes you up briefly and you get the subsequent buzz.

DW Monkey bars first year were pretty chunk scaffold style pipe and were a bit wet/greasy. I came off proper early doors (they fences you go over instead are a mare – SO many). Last year I think they were better. I wear gloves but take them off for the monkey bars as by that stage they’re soaked and mud splattered. They’re not helping in any shape or form.

Stu McDonald
    Participant

I’m thinking ringerless rugby type mitts with rubberised palms for the monkey bars — hopefully they should get grippier when wet and muddy! My target is to complete without having bottled it at any of the water obstacles.

With the monkeybars, should you fail do you have to do all the fences, or do you get to keep whatever progress you made?

Two weeks, two days… oh my god it’s close now!

Gallusness
    Participant

Aye the monkey bars have three options the full length, 33%ish and about 10%ish (each bit has two sets of bars). So you can work along one set or have one arm on each. The criss cross fences most of the length alongside the monkey bars. Essentially where you drop off you ditch across and into the fences to continue from there. They take ages and are just a pain really. Good penalty for dropping off. I’d definitely go the bars as long as you can!

Stu McDonald
    Participant

I’m gonna tell myself I can do the full 130m, then whatever point I fall off will come as a surprise. I still reckon a water or mudpit would be a more fitting penalty than just landing on grass though!

Trying not to read too many spoilers, but I had to take a shufty at the course map last week. God knows how long it’s gonna take me to do a 40m river swim. Wrecked cars to vault?! Airbag jumps! This sounds amazing. And I wasn’t expecting to run a gauntlet of rugby players! Didn’t think you’d get that sort of person-on-person physical aggression in an OCR. I cannot wait.

Gallusness
    Participant

Ha, how to reply and not give spoilers…

Well the map looks as though the monkey bars might have moved up the hill a bit. Only thing I’d say is it’s only when you’re there and you see how far 130m worth is. Bit humbling. Also the extra distance they added last year meant the height they were off the ground by the end, aye not a 2ft drop.

Aye, you go through cars. Airbag jumps are new. Rugby players are funny, first year it was unexpected and fair piled through that bit. Few hundred metres later you’re like aaaaaah still got another 18 miles to go.

Stu McDonald
    Participant

Heh, I appreciate the spoiler-free reply! I saw today’s pics of facebook looking along the monkey bars from the start. Daunting-looking. As were the posts yesterday about the blood starting on the bars about 30m in, peaking around 50m then dying away towards the end.

So long as there’s a fun obstacle every mile or two, I reckon I can cope with the tedium of 20 miles. It’s almost a shame they don’t extend it by another 30% just so it could count as a marathon…

Ben
    Participant

Stu
    Like you I’m new to OCR and based in Edinburgh. I did the Mens Health Survival of the Fittest in Edinburgh in 2014 and also the Deerstalker in 2015. I was also at Dirty Weekend last weekend and I’m gutted I didn’t sign up to Musdstacle earlier cos I would’ve seen your post. I am very much in a similar position in that I enjoy the obstacle side of things more than the running. I used to (mid-2000s) do fell running but haven’t run for a good while now and I’m now trying to improve my running again to get better OCR times. Dirty Weekend was great but I have to admit the last 5-6 miles were harder than I would’ve liked. I m now of a mind to train with Dirty Weekend distance in mind (just the one time round for me though!) so if you’re wanting to have a chat about doing some training together then drop me a message here. Are you doing Tough Mudder at Drumlanrig in June? That’s my next OCR and I can’t help feel it will be a breeze compared to Dirty Weekend – will see how Arctic Enema, Cry Baby and the dreaded electricity obstacle are though!
    Ben

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.